BoatGraphicsNow.com – Vinyl Application Instructions
PLEASE NOTE: Completely read each step before starting the application as we use two separate high performance vinyl’s that require slightly different application methods.
For traditional / standard vinyl lettering (not printed) as used for Vinyl Lettering, Registration Numbers and Hail Ports we use an Avery vinyl that will need to applied be with a few additional steps as compared to the laminated 3M vinyl used for Murals, Digital Backgrounds and ClipArt. These additional notes have been added on at the end of each step necessary for ease of understanding.
Before starting, you will need the following items:
Ammonia or Acetone, Pencil and a Squeegee (supplied). No application should be attempted if temperature is below 55 degrees Fahrenheit. You will also need a spray bottle, liquid dish soap and water.
1. All surfaces must be cleaned using Ammonia or Acetone to remove any wax or rubbing compound. You should now mix a solution of 1-tablespoon of liquid dish soap to 1 pint of water in the spray bottle.
2. Measure and position the graphics on the boat before you peel the waxed paper backing off the vinyl decal. Once you are happy with the positioning of the graphic, lightly mark the starting point for your graphic with a pencil.
3. Next, place the decal face down on a clean, flat surface (avoid placing it on the ground). Gently peel away the protective waxed paper backing from the decal. Be sure the vinyl decal stays adhered to the pre-mask tape. NOTE: Your decal will be very sticky, be certain that the ends do not touch each other. THIS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED ON A WINDY DAY.
4. IMPORTANT NOTE: ALL VINYL - generously spray the area where decal is to be applied. While the area is still wet, place the decal in the desired location by matching the bottom of the decal to the lines you made earlier. The soapy water will allow you to move the decal around until you get it into place. Starting from the center, use the palm of your hand to gently rub the decal from the center out in all directions.
5. Carefully place the decal on your boat. You can do this by simply lightly pressing on a few corners of the decal. DO NOT USE A SQUEEGEE AT THIS TIME. The decal can be easily pulled away and repositioned again, until you are satisfied with the placement. Once satisfied with the placement, start from the center of the decal, using the palm of your hand and gently rub the air and wrinkles out. Always work from the center outwards.
6. Now, use the squeegee and continue to rub the decal out in all directions. When you apply pressure to the decal, you will be breaking the micro air bubbles of the 3M vinyl that allows for the decal to adhere to your boat.
Continue to squeeze out the excess water. Repeat this process until all water and air is removed from underneath decal. Allow decal to dry completely. (Approximately 30 minutes)
7. Slowly peel back the pre-mask tape, which will reveal your final product! Your vinyl decal will now stay adhered to the surface. NOTE: If the decal is not sticking to the surface, repeat step number 5 and 6.
8. After the graphic is applied, take a photo, send it to your family, friends and do not forget to email us a copy.
FINAL NOTE: Do not power wash the boat for at least one week, as the adhesion process will still be curing.